How many times have we all heard how the gas stations make just a penny or two on a gallon of gas? All the convenience stores swear that they make their money selling what is inside the store, not by selling gas. They could never survive on the small amount of money they make at the pump. They act like they just have the gas as a service to their store customers.
I actually fell for that line until recently. I had never, for some reason, paid that much attention to what was going on. I guess what finally got my attention was a few days ago as I was driving through Norton and I saw gas under $2.00 for the first time in a long time. The price was $1.98.9 to be exact. Gas was still $2.05.9 everywhere else at the time. But this price was not at a convenience store. It was not a "service station" that sold tires and shocks or did mechanic work. It was a little place on Park Ave. that sells GAS. And nothing but gas. Sure, you have to pump it yourself, but you also have to do that at the places that say they are not making any money on gas.
My point is if this place can sell nothing but gas and make enough money to pay an attendant and all the other related expenses, rent, utilities, etc. why is it that nobody wants to admit how much money they are making on a gallon of gas? Now the gas has come down to the same price at other places. I'm just a poor dumb hillbilly from Big Stone Gap America, but I'm feeling kind of ripped off right now.






Bookmarks